20 Inspiring Quotes That Will Push You to
Your Full Writing Potential!
When it comes to being a writer, one of the most difficult aspects is staying motivated. If you’ve been a writer for a certain amount of time, you would know how difficult it is to stay passionate with the writing process. There are a lot of setbacks and rejections, and there are just days that you don’t feel like writing. Luckily there are a lot of ways you could jumpstart your writing motivation. One effective way to do this, is to read inspirational writing quotes by famous writers. Here are 20 famous writing quotes that will help you stay motivated as a writer.
Here are 20 Inspiring quotes to get you started on your
1. “A book is a dream you hold in your hand.”
– Neil Gaiman
2. “Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.”
– Ray Bradbury
3. “Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.”
– E. L. Doctorow
4. “Write hard and clear about what hurts.”
– Ernest Hemingway
5. “It’s not the fear of writing that blocks people, it’s the fear of not writing well; something quite different.”
– Scott Berkun
6. “The only writer to whom you should compare yourself is the writer you were yesterday.”
– David Schlosser
7. “You don’t start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it’s good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it. That’s why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence.”
– Octavia E. Butler
Related reading: 5 Easy to Follow Tips on Staying Inspired as a Writer!
8. “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.”
– Jodi Picoult
9. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”
– Louis L’Amour
10. “Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works”.
– Virginia Woolf
11. “Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”
– Anton Chekhov
12. “When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done.”
– Stephen King
Related reading: 5 Great Tips for Staying Motivated Throughout the Writing Process!
13. “Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don’t see any. “
– Orson Scott Card
14. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
– Maya Angelou
15. “Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
– Franz Kafka
16. “Start before you’re ready.”
– Steven Pressfield
17.” You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”
– Jack London
18. “The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write. A man will turn over half a library to make a book.”
– Samuel Johnson
19. “Description begins in the writer’s imagination but should finish in the reader’s.”
– Stephen King
20. “Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it’s the only way you can do anything really good.”
– William Faulkner
One of the biggest challenges of being a writer is staying motivated. There are so many factors that could have you disenchanted with the whole process. Luckily, with these quotes, you’ll gain the necessary inspiration to continue your writing journey.